HI, AGAIN


I’ve been out of this for a while, and feel strange about returning. Writing is such a joy for me, and yet so hard to do. I’m guilty of putting too much pressure on myself-not just here but in every aspect of my life- to the point of not wanting to do it at all. I’m returning and hoping to ease this pressure everyday, by writing just for me. No expectations, no stress.

I might have stopped writing but I haven’t stopped reading. After reading 42 books last year, my goal for this year was 50. I’ve read 61 this year so far. My devotion to reading widely and often is proof to myself that I’m capable of forming new habits, something I’m desperate to do as I start my 21styear around the sun. It is only natural that I should read so much, as books are my most reliable source of pleasure. If anything, I’m committed to maximising moments of bliss.

Getting through so many books is not mindless or easy, and I live a busy life, but I make it a priority. I read every morning with breakfast and coffee. I read during lunch. I read before bed. I read between the lessons I teach. I read on trains, in the sun, in coffee shops, sometimes in bed in the middle of the day. I pick up a book instead of my phone, sometimes instead of studying or cleaning, maybe instead of leaving the house. Reading punctuates every action; every intermission of my day is filled with it. I chose to read more, and I make it happen. 

The issue with reading 2 or 3 books a week, intending to write about them but not doing it for 8 months, is I have no idea where to start. I had ideas months ago, but have read so much more in that time that now I feel overwhelmed with choice. An ever-looming example of this is some photos I made with inspiring creative and friend Alisha Brocklebank back in March, a few I’ve included here. I didn’t have words to post with them at the time, but now I do.

This is my word vomit, editor’s letter to myself. I hope now I’ve got SOMETHING out of my tangled web brain, I’ll be able to create and shape words and ideas a little better and more frequently. Thank you if you read this or anything before, I love hearing from you in my Instagram DMs with book comments/questions/recommendations. 



Photos by Alisha Brocklebank, @alishabrocklebank.


Comments